I’m listening to a lot of stupid pop these days, seeing as my downstairs is frequented with workmen that need constant nurturing with sugary tea and very loud radio. And by the way, they are all doing a fabulous job, and I don’t begrudge them cuppas and pop.
BUT Oh dear god. I am now intimately familiar with the playlists of Radio Cambridgeshire and Heart FM. I think HeartFM is run by a Winamp playlist of, tops, 30 songs, with occasional advertising and promotional interjections. Every once in a while, someone presses the “shuffle” button.
Songs I wish they would stop playing on the radio
- Belinda Carlisle – Heaven on Earth. Unpleasant raspy voice.
Whoever told this lady she could sing at an impressionable age has done a great disservice to the world. Her video is all cute and 80s though. She keeps rolling around in a dark corner, and making f*ck me eyes at the camera.
- Daniel Merriweather – Red. It just goes on and on and on and on.
Daniel doesn’t agree with some lady’s style decision. She paints his thing red or something, and he says that it was perfect the way it was. And then he gets all whiny and upset about it and calls her a crazy, lying bitch, where he’s all “you’re just making all of this shit up” and “I’m doing all the work round here”, and “you’re a bitch”. I paraphrase. Daniel should stop wasting his time with this lady who treats him bad, and stop singing this damn song.
- Madonna – Like a Prayer. Something about the slightly sharp “Life is a mystery” at the beginning causes fingers to curl.
Madonna has always struck me as a good for Media Studies GCSE and filling middle-brow newspaper columns about “post-feminism” and “women on top”, but ultimately she makes crappy music. I liked her on Letterman
- TI ft. Rihanna – Live your life. This combines many annoying components of the modern pop song.
- Rihanna’s odd nasally monotone lingering on D.
- The rap hook of crowd shouted “hey” and “ho” in the chorus.
- Overuse of autotune pitch corrector.
- To top it all off, borrowing a hook from the Numa Numa (Dragostea din tei) song
- Sugababes – About You Now. Very repetitive. Boring after a while. Oh yeah, and all that auto-tune. I kinda like the raw cutting synth in the background, my electro receptor nodes in my brain gets all excited. Oh and the video is good, apart from the scenes with the Sugababes in them, which are annoying and plays badly visually with the dynamic outside urban setting of the rest. I quite like the remixes though. Like this one!
Oh there are others. Will just have to wait til they annoy me again so I can write them down.